Friday, August 24, 2007

Writing from Taipei

I leave tomorrow to return to New York. After a week in Taipei I traveled south to Taichung for a couple of days – there I was able to spend time with Maggie! What an exciting and interesting experience that was. She was very gracious with me – took time to take me around Taichung. Not surprisingly, she is a published author of two books and just completed a master’s degree in philosophy, and is working on writing a children’s book. I was actually able to talk shop with her about story design and character – something I rarely do given that I know few people who can go there with me. But she seemed interested enough, and I am hoping will help me, especially with the Chinese poetry for the story that I can’t possibly write myself.

Additionally in Taichung, I met with a couple of professors at Tunghai University and we talked about issues with teaching English to Taiwanese adults over coffee on the campus of the university. I really enjoyed meeting them – one is an American working on a dissertation and the other is a Taiwanese professor who received her PhD from the University of Iowa – we had things in common to share with one another. What a small world it is.

In Kaohsiung, I was well hosted by one of my former students from Hunter College. Steve is a securities trader and was very gracious to be my everything while I was there. He accommodated my stay at 85 Skytower – the second largest building in Taiwan and a very lovely place to stay. I was also hosted by an American, JB, who is in the process of preparing to return to the US after seven years in Kaohsiung. She and I had many things in common and I enjoyed getting to know her. We will be able to continue to get to know one another in New York when she finally lands in a few weeks.

The only damper on my travels has been that I did fall ill while in Kaohsiung and had to scale back all of my sightseeing as well as business networking push. I’m feeling a bit better now.

Amazing things in Taiwan – the people – really gracious and kind; The High Speed Rail – fast, clean, super cool; the architecture – rapid growth, beautiful modern buildings with Taipei 101 being a crowning jewel; the mountains and how they inform the life here; the art – Taiwan has amazing artists that connect ancient Chinese, Buddhist, Taoist, literature and nature into fabulous paintings and sculptures.

This has been only my introduction, but it has been a wonderful one. I am off to do my last-minute gift shopping before I leave tomorrow!

Best Sarah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home